[texworks] Wordcount

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Aug 1 14:02:04 CEST 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 6:34 AM, thomas.floeren at mac.com wrote:

> The already perfect editor for ConTeXt (and LaTeX) is TextMate (with
> the LaTeX bundle and the very nice ConTeXt bundle by P. Gundlach(?))

Howdy,

Or Emacs (one of several flavors) with AUCTeX. I don't know about
Context support.

> For novice users, who have problems to set up TextMate or are not
> willing to pay for it, we have TeXshop, which - if I remember
> correctly - is already set up for use (preconfigs for ConTeXt/XeTeX/
> LaTeX).
> This is also bundled with the texlive package.

No, TeXShop is Mac only and is not part of TeX Live. It is bundled
with MacTeX which consists of TeX Live (which will also include
TeXworks), a group of GUI applications (including TeXShop) an neat
preference pane and associated links which allows simple change
between multiple TeX distributions on your system, Ghostscript and the
convert application from ImageMagic.

> So my question now:
>
> What is the purpose of the Mac edition of TeXworks?
> Should it remplace the TeXshop (i.e. an app for novice usres)?
> Or should is it meant to take over the functionality of TextMate?
> ('takeover' means integrate the ConTeXt (and LaTeX) Bundle of
> TextMate into a the new editor, making him the base for future
> development, as a reference ConTeXt/LaTeX editor).
>
> Thomas

Imagine trying to teach beginning (La)TeX to a group that has some
random combination of Macs, Windows systems and Linux. The ability to
have them all use a multi-platform, easy to use, (La)TeX or Context
oriented editor is a wonderful thing.

Also imagine someone who must move from system to system and still get
work done. The ability to have an easy to use and familiar interface
on all systems is very useful too.

Finally, it is not just beginners that use TeXShop or TeXworks. I know
many very experienced folks that like use those editors because they
just don't get in the way but are extensible enough to allow them to
work efficiently.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)