[texworks] Some remarks regarding TeXworks on Mac OS X

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 30 16:13:12 CEST 2009

Alain Delmotte wrote

> >> 2. I would like to change some of the keybindings. For example:
> >> ==> goto start of line and End ==> goto end of line.
> >> Some may feel that this is not Mac-like but one can configure Mac
> OS
> >> X with a DefaultKeyBindings.dict to do just that.
> >> Which is what I have done since I cannot get used to the
> alternatives.
> >> I have not been able to find anything in the ~/Library/Texworks
> >> folder (I vaguely remember that in Windows there is a file letting
> >> you change keybindings?). Apparently the QT library doesn't
> honour my
> >> keybindings.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't think there's a way to do this at the moment. The
> > DefaultKeyBindings.dict file you mention is specific to Apple's
> Cocoa
> > text system, but TeXworks is not using this because of the desire to
> > be portable. I agree it would be nice to provide this possibility in
> > the future.
> What are the keybindings on the Mac? And for the other movements? I
> should know for the manual!
> Could we not change this in the translation file (and so in the source
> for the English version)?

I found the following keybindings

Keybindings TeXworks on Mac OS X
===================================

Command+left  arrow             goto start of current line
Command+right arrow             goto end of current line

Ctrl+A                          goto start of current line
Ctrl+E                          goto end of current line

Command+up arrow                goto top of file/document
Command+down arrow              goto bottom of file/document

Home                            goto top of file/document
End                             goto bottom of file/document

PgUp                            scroll up one screen (cursor line
remains on screen)  (editor)
                                 show previous page in pdf preview
window

PgDn                            scroll down one screen (cursor line
remains on screen)(editor)
                                 show next page in pdf preview window

Command+'                       goto source window or goto preview
window
Command+`                       also works (standard Mac key for
activating next window)

Other keyboard shortcuts can be found in the main menu.

Weird
========================

Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End          do nothing

Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn         act the same as PgUp and PgDn
respectively in the editor
                                                      in the pdf
preview window: scroll to top or bottom of current page

Not available

Ctrl+T for swapping adjacent characters or adjacent lines if cursor is
at start of line (editor)

Ctrl+K for delete to end of line (editor)

Berend