[texworks] About the Icon Design (was: Icon Update)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:15:09 CEST 2009

On 14 Jul 2009, at 09:56, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 14 juil. 09 à 01:23, Jérome Laurens a écrit :
>
>> An icon following these rules as well as Mac OS X quidelines could
>> be something like
>>
>> <texworks.png>
>>
>> - clearly related to TeX
>> - the pen to indicate that this app is for making documents (the
>> pen is standard on Mac OS X for such apps)
>> - the square ruler in the background is used to diminish transparency
>> it refers to geometry and measurements and as a tool it may also be
>> related to "works".
>
> Again a nice illustration of your icon design skills. Very nice!

Yes, beautiful -- which is no surprise, having seen Jérôme's other
icons.

Personally, though, I'm inclined to stay with Stefan's design, for a
couple of reasons. I like the solidity (icons with holes in can be
frustrating, when you inadvertently "click through" the holes and
nothing happens); I like the simple, easily-recognized shape that
survives scaling even down to very small icon sizes, while at the same
time having a design with enough visual interest at large sizes; and I
like its potential for use as a "badge" element on document icons,
which I think would more be difficult with the "TeX + pen" design at
small sizes.

None of this means that I don't like Jérôme's icon; it's a beautiful
piece of work, and I'd agree that it is a more "Mac-like" application
icon. But TW isn't just (or even primarily) a Mac application, so I
don't want to give much weight to that aspect. And I suppose partly
I'm reacting against the use of the word "TeX" as the primary element
of the icon -- it just feels like something that's been done before
(though not usually with such a stylish result, I admit!), and I
prefer the more subtle reference of Stefan's T.

But I don't consider myself qualified to choose among such diverse
designs -- both excellent, but completely different ideas. Please,
anyone with opinions, preferences, suggestions..... let's hear them!

JK