[texworks] Icon Update

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 07:30:49 CEST 2009

On 2009-07-13 23:34, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> Le 13 juil. 09 à 22:24, Alain Delmotte a écrit :
>
>> I think that we do not have to add an icon for the pdf documents; it
>> happens that TeX produces pdf documents, but it is not the only
>> system to do. For .tex, .sty and other files associated to TeX (and
>> for us TeXworks) OK.
>
> If you're dismissing adding to TeXworks an icon for the PDF files that
> it creates, on the basis that other applications as well can create
> and read PDF files, then in the same way we should dismiss adding to
> TeXworks an icon for the .tex files that it processes, on the basis
> that other front-ends like TeXmaker or TeXnicCenter cab process them
> as well.

I tend to generally agree with Bruno's point of view - not so much
because TW _produces_ pdf files, but because it can _read_ them.

> I don't think there's anything wrong with TeXworks associating a
> specific icon to the PDF files produced through it.

Well, here we may have a problem, though (at least if I take your
comment literally). Files usually get their icon from the application
they are associated with (i.e. they are opened with). This, however, is
file type specific, not file specific. This means that I don't think
it's possible to give all pdf files produced by TW a special icon, while
all the rest of the files keep their "normal" icon.

Of course, Alain, if your point is that the pdf icon will probably never
be used (because people don't use TW as their standard pdf reader), I
completely support that. But nevertheless, if we can associate pdfs with
TW (which we can, because TW understands pdfs), we should provide an
icon for that - if we choose to provide such document icons.