[texworks] new Mac binary posted - testing welcome

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jul 10 09:01:08 CEST 2009

Le 10 juil. 09 à 08:14, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Maybe this is linked with the Screen resolution setting in the
> Preview prefs, but I've also no idea whether the default choice (72
> dpi) is what it should be on the Mac. 72 dpi used to be the default
> resolution in the pre-OS X days (with Windows using 96 dpi IIRC),
> but I imagine that has changed now and may depend on monitor and
> choice of resolution (for example 1280 x 800 currently on the
> MacBook I'm writing this on) in System Preferences > Monitors.

This must sound undecipherable to non-Mac users, sorry.

What I meant is that the resolution in dots per inch is probably set
dynamically on the Mac, since:

- If I understood correctly, before OS X screen display was
constructed in bitmap form, at fixed dpi resolution, but in OS X it is
constructed vectorially, in PDF format (I think there's the same kind
of difference between Windows XP and Vista), and then rasterized only
at the last minute when creating screen output...

- ...based on the resolution in pixel area selected in System
Preferences > Monitors. For example with my current MacBook 13" LCD
monitor the resolutions available in System Preferences > Monitors are
1280 x 800, 1152 x 720, 1024 x 768, 1024 x 640, 800 x 600, 800 x 500
and 640 x 480, and I imagine that it is the combination of this
setting together with the physical characteristics of the monitor (13"
diagonal) which defines dynamically the resolution in dots per inch.

So I don't really see how the resolution defined in TeXworks via Prefs
 > Preview fits within this picture.

Bruno Voisin