[texworks] new Mac binary posted - testing welcome

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jul 10 08:14:37 CEST 2009

Le 10 juil. 09 à 07:34, Stefan Löffler a écrit :

> On 2009-07-10 06:41, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> One suggestion (for future releases): I've always expected the small
>> boxes at the bottom of the Windows (line number in the editor,
>> magnification and page number in the previewer) to act as dialogs:
>> you
>> double-click on either of them and a dialog pops up allowing the line
>> number, magnification or page number  to be changed. Is that planned
>> in a future release (I'm in no rush about that at all, just curious)?
>
> I've been trying something like that a little while back (issue 91,
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=91). Unfortunately,
> my patch turned out to unnecessarily clutter the Mac interface (which
> has larger widgets than the other platforms). But yes, in principle
> this
> isn't that difficult.

The problem is that, with the current interface, there's no way that I
know of of setting the magnification to a fixed percentage (200% say),
other than going to the prefs, setting the Default scaling to the
desired Fixed scale, then quitting and re-opening the application.

The View menu offers Zoom In, Zoom Out, Actual Size, Fit to Width and
Fit to Window, but no fixed scale. And I couldn't understand how Zoom
In/Out pick up their magnifications (100 % -> 141.42% -> 200 % ->
282.84% -> 400% -> 565.69% -> ... for the former).

Maybe this is linked with the Screen resolution setting in the Preview
prefs, but I've also no idea whether the default choice (72 dpi) is
what it should be on the Mac. 72 dpi used to be the default resolution
in the pre-OS X days (with Windows using 96 dpi IIRC), but I imagine
that has changed now and may depend on monitor and choice of
resolution (for example 1280 x 800 currently on the MacBook I'm
writing this on) in System Preferences > Monitors.

One regret I forgot to mention too: no printing functionality yet. I
imagine that will come later, and that it's not easy to add (so that
the standard Mac printing architecture and dialogs are used when
selecting Page Setup and Print menu items). I imagine the patch
somebody committed for this (maybe it was you, I don't remember)
wouldn't work on the Mac or wouldn't invoke the standard dialogs.

Bruno Voisin