[texworks] new Mac binary posted - testing welcome

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Jul 10 06:28:56 CEST 2009

Le 10 juil. 09 à 02:39, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :

> On 10 July 2009 Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> On 10 Jul 2009, at 01:22, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>>
>>> If you start it from the command line, shouldn't the current
>>> working directory be the default?
>>
>> It might be, but that's irrelevant; Mac applications are not started
>> from a command line. Most users wouldn't even know how to do so.
>
> Yes, of course.  But I thought that binaries for different platforms
> are derived from the same sources.  I don't have only Mac in mind.

You can indeed start TeXworks from the command line, but that's
entirely dependent of where you put the .app application bundle (can
be anywhere AFAIK).

For example, assuming the user puts TeXworks.app in /Applications/TeX/
as the MacTeX-2009 installer does, then TeXworks can be started in
Terminal as

	/Applications/TeX/TeXworks.app/Contents/MacOS/TeXworks

and in this case when you press Cmd-O to print up the Open File
dialog, then yes the dialog starts in the working directory (the one
in which you were in Terminal before launching TeXworks as above).

But, as Jonathan points out, that's all a very unnatural thing to do
for a Mac user (having been one myself since 1987 or 1988).

Bruno