[texworks] Release

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 00:02:51 CEST 2009

Good question, Stefan!

Although there hasn't been any formal discussion of the process, I'd
say that unofficially we are in a "feature freeze" in preparation for
the TeX Live 2009 release; we need to finalize the binaries that will
ship with TL sometime soon (no, I don't know a precise cut-off date),
and so I'm trying to tidy things up for those builds.

I saw your possible fix for #138, and will commit that or something
like it shortly; in my testing, it did improve things but the behavior
was still not really right, so I'd like to look at it a bit more if
possible.

Besides translation updates (of which many are now in -- thanks to
everyone who has contributed!), I'd be very happy to consider improved
templates for various kinds of documents; what's there at the moment
is fairly primitive. I know we don't have a beautiful UI at the moment
for presenting them -- that's for a future version! -- but it would
still be nice to strengthen the content.

This "feature freeze" implies that I'm not planning to take either the
scripting or printing patches right now; this doesn't mean I'm
ignoring them, just that I'm not sure they are ready to go into the
release. Once v0.1 is frozen for TL, I'll definitely tag the sources
in svn; I will also start a v0.1 branch for any future bug-fixes we
come up with there. Then I intend to bring these new features into the
trunk, to become part of the next version. Sorry I haven't been more
communicative on all this recently; just very busy!

Thanks again for all your great contributions,

Jonathan