[texworks] translation updates

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:12:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:11, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2009, at 10:38, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> So if anyone could share a recent Mac binary with me or on google code
>> page, I would be grateful for that.
>
> Coming this week....

Thanks a lot.

>> One question: if I choose German translation, buttons for "Cancel",
>> "OK", ... are all translated properly, while I get English buttons
>> under Slovenian translation instead. I understand that not the whole
>> program can be translated (File/Open calls the system dialog that is
>> simply not translated into Slovenian), but I don't understand why the
>> German translations of buttons all work OK.
>
> These buttons are standard Qt widgets and their translations are provided in
> Qt's localization files (e.g., qt_de.qm); I include the corresponding qt
> file for each texworks translation, if available. But there isn't one for
> Slovenian, so they remain untranslated.
>
> I believe it would be possible to create a stripped-down localization file
> that just provides the extra strings needed (we only use a very few standard
> widgets that include text, so doing a complete qt translation would be lots
> of unnecessary work). I haven't actually tried to do this, though.

Oh, I understand now. I have asked a question on our translation
mailing list. Maybe someone will have an answer (or that file) there
before we try to do anything ourselves. After all the majority of main
Linux components have been translated - I cannot believe that such a
file doesn't exist at all.

>> One tiny request: I have a problem translating the word "typeset" (as
>> already mentioned). "Typesetting" has a wonderful translation, but
>> "typeset" also means "bet" and most people would have problems
>> interpreting it, so I would prefer to translate the string under
>> typesetting icon as "run". But I figured out that the same translation
>> is used three times:
>> - under "typeset" icon: I would like to put "run" there
>> - in main menu: I would like to put "typesetting" there
>>  - as a subitem in that menu (Typeset apple-T): I would like to put "run"
>> there
>> so I cannot just change a single one. If it was possible to decouple
>> them, I would be grateful for that.
>
> The Typeset menu item and the text under the icon are the same string (in Qt
> terms, this is a single "Action", it just shows up in two places).

This should be OK. I wanted to use the same string there anyway.

> The menu
> *title* ought to be separate, though. But looking in the .ts file, I think
> you're right, the same string is being used -- not sure why, this needs
> investigation. (I think we just need to differentiate the contexts where the
> string occurs.)

Thanks a lot for looking into it. Please let me know if that gets
fixed, so that I'll fix it in the translation as well.

Thanks,
    Mojca