[texworks] German translation updates

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 10:29:13 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Stefan Löffler<st.loeffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Peter Wüsten schrieb:
>> I'd suggest replacing "Stapeln" with the much more intuitive
>> "Übereinander" (which also corresponds nicely to "Nebeneinander").
>
> I agree that "Übereinander" would correspond nicely to "Nebeneinander".
> However, from what it does, "Stapeln" corresponds more closely to
> "Kacheln"

Yes, they are a pair of alternative ways to tidy up a whole lot of windows.

> ("Side by side" = "Nebeneinander" appears to only work on a
> TeX document with the corresponding PDF file, while the others work on
> all open windows).

Right; "side by side" is specifically targeted at a pair of source +
preview windows. It wouldn't really make sense to try arranging an
arbitrary number of windows side by side.

> Furthermore, I'd like to add that "Fenster Nebeneinander" is not really
> a valid statement, it would be better to call it "Nebeneinander
> platzieren", which would be too long IMO, though. But then again,
> "window side by side" is not really a full sentence, either ;).

In English, at least, we don't expect menu titles + items to form full
sentences; but I have seen considerably longer forms in some
translated interfaces (including the use of "platzieren" in
window-arranging commands).

> So, all in all, I'd vote for "Stapeln" over "Übereinander". In addition
> to what I already said, the windows can be considered "übereinander" (~
> "one over the other") all of the time (there's always one window having
> the focus and thus being at the front). So "Stapeln" (=stack) would
> suggest to me that the are stacked in a nice, clean, aligned pile over
> one another, rather than being dispersed over the whole desktop.
>
> Finally, regarding the "Kacheln" issue: I agree that it is normally used
> in the context of constructing houses. However, I think it suggests
> quite well what it's supposed to do, as Peter pointed out already.
>
> But I'm not a linguist, either.
>
> Regards
> Stefan
>
> PS: I tried to find similar translations in other programs, but didn't
> succeed.

I've noticed that some programs (in English) refer to the "Stack"
operation as "Cascade"; don't know if that offers any inspiration.