[texworks] Icon

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:01:59 CEST 2009

William Adams schrieb:
> On Jul 5, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> I have just replaced the old icon in TW with this new design.
>> Additional "polish" is still welcome, of course, but it already looks
>> *much* better.
>
> Agreed. (I was one of the people playing around w/ ideas, but I was
> not coming up w/ anything usable).

I've come to believe any idea may be useful, even if it just sparks
someone else's imagination :).

> I happen to have some metal type, so will try to find the time to haul
> something out and photograph it --- if nothing else, might be useful
> as reference material.

Thanks. So far I've been using some reference images from Wikipedia and
Flickr, but since I'm a scientist rather than an artist some horizontal,
vertical, etc. projections would be useful ;).

> My one concern is that we're not getting the ``W'' from ``Works'' into
> it (though we'll have to be careful in doing that lest we wind up w/ a
> clone of Adobe's periodic table of applications icons) which would
> help to distance it from the Textures design as Bruno noted.

I thought about the "w" (or all the other letters, for that matter).
However, I believe that it would make the icon too crowded. The T would
have to get smaller, and all in all the result will be harder to make
out at small sizes. Besides, I didn't want to tell the user what he
probably already knows from the text accompanying the icon: that the app
is called TeXworks. Of course I did choose the "T" as the initial of
both Tw and TeX, but it could in principle have been any other letter
(except that non-symmetric letters would have to be mirrored to be
realistic ;)).

Can this "Adobe's periodic table of applications" icon be found online
somewhere? I'm not familiar with it and didn't find it.

Lastly, I agree with Jonathan on the Textures icon. It's based on the
letter T, but so are other icons (like the one of the mobile network
operator T-Mobile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_Mobile)). I don't
think that that would be any problem.

> FWIW, George Williams did a similar thing w/ the FontForge webpage:
>
> http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

This is a really cool image, thx.