[texworks] Beginners' needs (was: Lua scripting)

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Thu Jun 18 01:53:16 CEST 2009

Reinhard,

I think you underestimate how different TeX is from the GUI software that
most people are used to.  For instance, I have never used Quark, the page
layout program.  But if I decided to learn it, there would be many things
that I could do immediately, and many more that would require only minimal
learning, based on my experience with other similar software.  Furthermore,
if I wanted to do a particular task, either the program could do it (and it
would be explained in the help system) or it couldn't.  There would be no
need to search for additional packages as in TeX.

Now contrast that with what happened after I installed MiKTeX and TeXworks.
I entered some basic code and wanted to see how it would look.  I was
immediately confronted with several choices that I did not understand and
had no way to get the answers easily.  I persevered, but if TeXworks is to
fulfill its stated mission to provide an easier entrée to the TeX world, it
must provide some basic help when folks need it, and provide pointers to
existing resources (many of which predate XeTeX, so users have to learn not
to use babel, fontenc, etc.--yet another layer of complexity).

I had known of the existence of TeX for a very long time, but my work
requires many unusual fonts, Unicode, and sometimes OpenType.  So I never
bothered with TeX because it didn't meet my needs.  Then someone told me
about XeTeX and I was eager to try it.  I knew that it was a typesetting
language and I would have to type in codes rather than use a GUI, which
didn't bother me because I had some experience with such systems in the
distant past.  So I think I "knew what it was good for."  But I was not
prepared for the steepness of the learning curve, particularly since I often
had to search in several different places to find what I needed.  If
TeXworks had come with even some basic help--just a few pages, with
appropriate pointers for more assistance--it would have saved me a lot of
time and effort.  If we just assume that people will know all about TeX
before they try TeXworks, beginners will not stick around.

David