[texworks] Lua scripting

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Mon Jun 8 09:26:48 CEST 2009

Le 8 juin 09 à 07:36, Stefan Löffler a écrit :

> On 2009-06-07 16:03, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> I saw this patch -- very cool indeed! I'll try to experiment with it
>> soon, though it may take some effort to get it building on OS X and
>> Windows; should be possible though.
>
> I don't know about OS X (if there isn't some kind of packaging system,
> the lua dependencies should be downloadable from lua.org), [...]

There are some packaging systems on OS X (MacPorts, Fink), but they
imply many system overrides (ie, replacing versions of the Unix
binaries included in OS X by other versions of the same binaries), and
for this reason they do not have the favour of a number of OS X users
(since this implies changing, and hence risks breaking, OS X).

Generally, I must say I'm rather scared by all this stuff here
recently about scripting for TeXworks. TeXworks does very well what it
was designed for, namely provide a no-nonsense graphical integrated
environment for editing, typesetting, previewing and printing TeX
documents. As such, the functions included in the built-in editor are
all that's needed in normal use (basic search/replace, block comment
and indent, spell check).

It's not very clear to me what the added scripting functionality might
be. If that's totally invisible from the user, OK. But please don't
turn TeXworks into another bloatware.

Bruno Voisin