[texworks] Hebrew Right to Left Mode

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:21:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-04-24 17:44, sjo wrote:
> What is involved in creating a Hebrew right to left mode within an
> English system. Is it just a case of addin .ts files (similar to
> Texworks_ar.ts (for Arabic) without compilation), or would it need to
> be created and recompiled from scratch.

I assume you're talking about the user interface (e.g. the text that is
displayed in the menu, different dialogs, etc.). In that case supporting
Hebrew should in fact be as simple as creating a translation (.ts) file,
AFAIK. There shouldn't be any need for recompilation (apparently, rtl is
supported, as shown by the arabic translation). You will need Qt
Linguist, though (which is part of the Qt toolkit), and you will need
the TW source code so Linguist knows which strings there are to
translate. There shouldn't be any need to (re)compile TW, though.

> Also, I added the en_US.otx file (from the openoffice site) to
> C:\Users\user\TeXworks\dictionaries, but that does not allow me to
> turn spell checking on. Is a different format required?

TW (and the underlying spell checker) doesn't understand .otx (my guess
is that it's a new format, but I don't know). It needs a .aff and a
corresponding .dic file, instead. They can still be downloaded from the
oo.org page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries#English_.28AU.2CCA.2CGB.2CNZ.2CUS.2CZA.29

HTH