[texworks] Syntax colouring / spelling

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 13:42:55 CEST 2009

On 23 Apr 2009, at 11:13, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just checked out the newest svn snap of TeXworks, ready to
> start typesetting my dissertation report.
>
> I have a couple of queries:
>
> a) Is syntax colouring broken? The menu "format->syntax colouring" is
> empty, but you used to be able to choose laTeX or ConTeXt.

This menu should be populated from the configuration/syntax-
patterns.txt file in the TeXworks library folder (~/.TeXworks for you,
probably, unless you've got a TeXworks-setup.ini file that's directing
it to a different location).

If you don't have a "library" folder, TW will create it and copy
initial default config files there, but if you have the folder already
(possibly empty), it won't modify things for you.

> b) I hear people talking about a switch to enchant from hunspell. How
> close is that switch?

As I understand it, it's a pretty trivial patch on Linux/*BSD systems,
but it won't happen on the main TW trunk until someone tackles the job
of building/supporting enchant on Windows and OS X as well. (I'm sure
this is possible, and it might even be simple; I just haven't had time
to deal with it.)

My guess, then, is that it won't happen soon; other things (such as
packaging something fit to release at the same time as TL'09) will
take priority, I think.

JK