[texworks] Simplified Chinese translation for TeXworks

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun Mar 22 20:55:27 CET 2009

> Arthur, ISO 15924 is about codes for scripts, but the important point here
> is not script but locale.

  Right, I'd forgotten that.  We're bound by the libc locales.  Too bad
they don't support script codes.

>                           The primary identifying feature of the
> translation is not that it's "Chinese written with the Simplified script"
> (in contrast to the Traditional script), but that it's "Chinese as used in
> PRC" (in contrast to Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, etc.) Compare things
> like en_US vs en_GB, or fr_FR vs fr_CA.

  I remain convinced that people wouldn't use zh_CN and zh_TW for
Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese, respectively, if you could
specify a script name in the locale.  For some languages, you really
need this, like Serbian, for instance.  I also wonder if, for example,
zh_SG falls back to zh_CN if the system doesn't support the former.

  If I'm not mistaken, ICU uses RFC 4646 tags for its locale codes, but
that's of course a special project.

	Arthur