[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Mar 15 22:34:30 CET 2009

    it would also be possible to go the other way round and
    have TeXworks auto-detect TL.

I'm sorry for speaking in generalities, but it's all I have to offer.
What I think is important is:

1) someone installing TeX Live in the standard way also gets TeXworks.
   This is clearly for the TL side, and we will take care of it, one way
   or another.

2) the resulting TeXworks configuration is reasonable and does not need
   the user to do anything to start using TeX(works).

3) if the user wants to override something, (1) they can do so without
   having to copy other settings, and (2) their personal configuration
   will survive both TW and TL updates.

This is why Norbert and I started down the path of having "cascading"
configuration files.  But it's the result that's important, not the
implementation.

Can anyone who knows more about TW advise about #2 and #3?

Jonathan, are you there :)?

Thanks,
Karl