[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:08:23 CET 2009

On 2009-03-15 14:43, Norbert Preining wrote:

[skipped kpsewhich; will read the docs some time]

> On So, 15 Mär 2009, Stefan Löffler wrote:
>
>> As a matter of fact, there already is an USB mode. You can override all
>> configurations by putting a file named "texworks-portable.ini" in the TW
>> application directory (see
>> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=95 for more
>> information). So for just taking the configurations with you on some
>>

> I couldn't find any more details in that issue, maybe you know: Is it
> possible to put *ANY* configuration into that .ini file?

The texworks-portable.ini is intended primarily to tell TW (from the
command line) that it should operate in portability mode. At the moment,
only two options are supported in it: ini-path and lib-path. The former
points to a directory in which TW should store its configuration file in
the form TeXworks.ini (I think). The latter points to the directory from
which TW loads its highlighting patterns, completion templates, etc.

So you can create a file named TeXworks.ini and put your configuration
directives in there. If you then create a file named
texworks-portable.ini with an ini-path directive pointing to the path
you created TeXworks.ini in TW will use that configuration instead of
any other one.
Note however that:
 * If you set an invalid (e.g. not existing) path for ini-path or
lib-path, TW will ignore it and use its normal config files.
 * You cannot currently put any environmental variables in ini-path as
Qt doesn't support this natively. I may have found a way to work around
that but haven't had time yet to code it, let alone test it on all
platforms.
 * If you specify ini-path, TW will ignore any other configuration on
the system (i.e. any configuration stored in the user's config directory
or in the registry (on Windows)). So it's not possible (at the moment)
to have fallbacks.
 * If you specify lib-path, TW will copy the standard files there during
the first launch (if they don't exist).

HTH