[texworks] integrating TeX Works into TeX Live

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:18:55 CET 2009

Hi,

On 2009-03-10 11:22, Norbert Preining wrote:
> I want to integrate TeX Works into TeX Live, so that users at least on
> Windows (maybe Apple) can opt to install TeX Works and it should work
> out of the box.

I think this would be a great idea for TeXworks to gain popularity.
Please include Linux, too, though ;).

> The idea is that we prepare a zip/tar.lzma on the TL distribution
> (tlnet/CTAN) and the installer downloads that one into
> 	..../texlive/TeXworks
> where the installation is in
> 	..../texlive/2008

So that archive would have to contain all the files that should be
placed in <path-to-texlive-root>/texlive/TeXworks, right? Executable,
libraries and all?

> Hee is now my question: Is there a way to change the default
> settings/paths for TeX Works, so that new users don't have to go into
> the configure dialog?
>
> I thought about dropping some .ini/.conf/.whatever file into the
> directory where the binary is present. Currently TeX Works seems to use
> 	~/.config/TUG/TeXworks.conf
> and
> 	~/.TeXworks/...
>
> In the former file there we could simply write on installation time
> 	binaryPaths=Our_Installation_Path, other predefined pathes
> Anything else probably would work immediately (not tested).

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. TeXworks as it is right now
initially comes without any configuration at all, although some standard
values are guessed during first launch and the config file you mention
is created. In that config file it would be easy to specify the path to
the texworks executables.
I have no experience with TL packaging, but would it be possible to run
some kind of script (shell/perl/batch/whatever) during or after
installation? If so, we could simply create the config file on the fly
and copy it to the directory TeXworks looks in.

> Please let me know if you have any other suggestion or idea!

Another question is how updates are handled. TeXworks is still under
development and while it is usable (actually, I think it's great ;)),
there are enhancements/bug fixes from time to time.

HTH