[texworks] Building TeXworks on WinXP

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:37:03 CET 2009

Hi,

On 2009-01-23 22:12, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> Good news: I completely reinstalled MSVC++ Express with the 2005
> version and followed the instructions you gave.
> I managed to compile TeXworks and the copy of the files to my portable
> did also work.

Yippie ;).

> (NB. still the same 2 missing files)

You're talking about the dependencies, right? Well, as long as it works ;).
I've just looked up the libraries on the internet:
dwmapi.dll is a Vista component, some sort of window manager API
(http://www.processlibrary.com/de/directory/files/dwmapi/)
efsadu.dll provides code for file encryption
(http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/efsadu/)

Maybe (some of) the KDE libraries were built on a Vista machine, that
would explain the first dll. Why the second is missing I have no idea,
from what little information I found it's a normal Windows system
library. Without it you may not be able to access encrypted files /
files in encrypted directories. But again: as long as the program
(normally) doesn't complain I wouldn't worry too much about it at the
current stage of development.

> Perhaps some comments:
>
> Stefan Löffler a écrit :
>> Unfortunately Setting up
>> VC++ 2005 Express is a little more complicated than setting up the
>> latest version.
>
> Yes it is!! :-)

I just checked the Qt doc. It's apparently not (yet) tailored towards
MSVC 2008, either. That is it produces 2005 files when run in VC mode.
They can be converted to 2008, of course, but technically it's not
supported. Anyway, the rest of the build process produces (severe)
problems, so there's no way around 2005 for now. Let's hope for a better
future ;).

>> = Obtaining the necessary libraries from KDE on Windows =
>>
>> !TeXworks depends on several external libraries, most notably Qt and
>> Poppler. You can obtain most of the needed dependencies from
>> [http://windows.kde.org/ the KDE on Windows project]. See their
>> [http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation#Summary_of_Steps
>> summary of steps]
>> for further information.
>>
>> Download and run the installer. Choose the following options when asked:
>>   * Installation Directory: Choose a path *not containing spaces or
>> special characters* (i.e. C:\KDE).
>>

> In fact one could say: *not containing space or special characters
> (this includes accented characters), so only pure ASCII characters*,

Good point, thanks. I pointed out accented characters as well as umlauts
(used in German, northern languages, etc.) and added ASCII.

>> In order to build !TeXworks you have to modify
>> C:\texworks\texworks-read-only\TeXworks.pro to reflect your local
>> configuration. Find the lines reading
>> {{{
>>     INCLUDEPATH += z:/cross-tools/usr/local/include
>>     INCLUDEPATH += z:/cross-tools/usr/local/include/poppler
>>     INCLUDEPATH += z:/cross-tools/usr/local/include/poppler/qt4
>>     INCLUDEPATH += z:/cross-tools/usr/local/include/hunspell
>>
>>     LIBS += -Lz:/cross-tools/usr/local/lib
>>     LIBS += -lpoppler-qt4
>>     LIBS += -lpoppler
>>     LIBS += -lfreetype
>>     LIBS += -lhunspell-1.2
>>     LIBS += -lz
>> }}}
>> and replace them by
>>

> I am not sure here that you should not use the \ in place of /, that
> is what I did, ex.: C:\KDE\include\poppler\qt4

Well, I'm not sure, either. I reread the Qt documentation on qmake and
didn't find any rules for this. All examples use forward slashes,
however. The problem with backslashes is that they are often used as
escape characters (\n for newline, \t for tab, etc.). Hence I'd prefer
to leave the forward slashes in the guide as it appears to be the
"official" or at least the safer way.

So, if everything is working now I'll send the guide to Jonathan if you
give your OK.