[texworks] Building TeXworks on WinXP

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 13:59:17 CET 2009

Hi Alain,

On 2009-01-13 12:28, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> [skipped several attempts]
>
> The result of qmake -t vcapp is the same:
>
> WARNING: Unable to generate output for:
> c:/texworks/texworks/Makefile.Debug (TEMPLATE vcapp]
> WARNING: Unable to generate output for:
> c:/texworks/texworks/Makefile.Release (TEMPLATE vcapp]

I found the following by quickly googling for the error message:
http://www.qtforum.org/article/23745/QT433-and-qmake--t-vcapp.html

It seems that it may be possible that qmake uses the wrong
specifications. Somewhere else I also read that support for msvc was not
available in all versions. To me it seems as if this were a path
problem, however. So I suggest the following steps:
1) Confirm that you have set KDEDIRS and PATH according to
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Installation#Summary_of_Steps
2) Check which directories are in C:\Program Files\KDE\mkspecs (adjust
the path to suit your KDE on Windows installation). On my installation I
have several win32-msvc directories (most notably win32-msvc2008).
3) Depending on which directories you find in (2), run qmake in the
TeXworks source directory with the command (adjust paths as necessary)
  qmake -tp vc -spec C:\Program Files\KDE\mkspecs\win32-msvc2008

>> As promised I also uploaded the version I compiled to
>> http://web.student.tuwien.ac.at/~e0325258/files/texworks/. I'm not sure
>> if it will work on all Windows systems (it did on mine, obviously). I'm
>> not sure either if you need the dlls (or if you can use the ones
>> Jonathan published on google).
>>
> Were missing for execution: poppler-qt4.dll and freetype.dll which I
> have from the KDE installation.
> It works. I'll test!

Thanks. I added them to the archive and also included readmes with
licensing information.

> I did already find a new menu in the preview (Find) for which there is
> a need for translation (so the _fr.ts file is needed).

Yeah, that's the new PDF search feature added in r247. Note however that
I commented on the corresponding issue 66 stating that the the menu item
Find should actually be labeled "Find..." in conformance with the
corresponding menu item in the tex editor window.

>> NB: Use that program at your own risk. It still has the problem
>> mentioned in the build instructions that when run from within MSVC it
>> crashes with some memory corruption.
>>
> I will not run it from MSVC!! :-)

Good ;). I mainly included this statement to enforce that there is still
some bug hidden somewhere. I haven't tested the windows build
extensively so it may steadily increase its memory usage or crash at
some point or whatever.