[texworks] Basic LaTeX documents/article.tex not compiling cleanly

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Mon Jan 12 20:58:26 CET 2009

On 12 Jan 2009, at 19:48, Dave Crossland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Edd and Jonathan for your earlier help today :-)
>
> Using Fedora 10's TeXLive, the
> "texworks-read-only/res/resfiles/templates/Basic LaTeX
> documents/article.tex" example doesn't compile cleanly; the errors are
> non-fatal - hitting return at the error prompt allows it to compile
> okay - and commenting out these 3 lines that are the problem (thanks
> to the first) doesn't effect the appearance of the output.
>
> \usepackage[titles]{tocloft} % Alter the style of the Table of
> Contents
> \renewcommand{\cftsecfont}{\rmfamily\mdseries\upshape}
> \renewcommand{\cftsecpagefont}{\rmfamily\mdseries\upshape} % No bold!
>
> A log is attached.

I've noticed there are problems with at least some of the templates;
these were derived from old files distributed with TeXShop, but have
not necessarily been kept up to date with current TeX distributions.

It would be great if a few experienced LaTeX users -- keeping in mind
what's appropriate to present to newcomers, so keep things fairly
simple -- could go through the samples and clean them up, and/or offer
a better collection of templates for current systems.

JK