[texworks] Error when building texworks r252

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Thu Jan 8 17:08:50 CET 2009

On 7 Jan 2009, at 18:22, Stefan Löffler wrote:

> On 2009-01-07 18:48, Martin Sievers wrote:
>> when trying to build the latest release (252) for Ubuntu, I get the
>> following error:
>> src/TWApp.cpp: In member function »void TWApp::init()«:
>> src/TWApp.cpp:88: Fehler: »setDefaultFormat« ist kein Element von
>> »QSettings«
>> make: *** [obj/TWApp.o] Fehler 1
>>
>> Translation: Error: "setDefaultFormat" is no element of "QSettings"
>>
>> Everything went fine with with release 247. Anyone an idea what goes
>> wrong here? Thank you.
>>

> Hi,
>
> This was inadvertently introduced in r249 which implements a portable
> mode for TeXworks. The function producing your error was added in Qt
> 4.4
> (I guess you have a pre-4.4 version). I've posted a patch at
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/issues/detail?id=95 that should
> solve
> this problem. (It's not in the svn repository yet but you can try it
> out
> by downloading issue-95-disable-portability-for-older-qt.diff to your
> texworks src/ directory and then executing `patch <
> issue-95-disable-portability-for-older-qt.diff`)

An alternative may be to modify how we use QSettings, so that portable
mode can still work with older Qt releases (lacking the
QSettings::setDefaultFormat() method). I have just posted a patch that
attempts to do this, and would value feedback on whether this works
for people before I decide what to check in.

Thanks,

JK