[texworks] %!TEX root =

Jérome Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Sat Jan 3 11:19:57 CET 2009

Le 1 janv. 09 à 20:40, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 1 Jan 2009, at 19:10, Joseph Wright wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>> It's supposed to work. (See the function
>>> TeXDocument::findRootFilePath(). It uses a regexp to allow
>>> flexibility
>>> about spacing, perhaps that's why you didn't find it with a simple
>>> search.)
>>>
>>> AFAIK this has been working for others, so if it's not working for
>>> you,
>>> please try to come up with a precise example scenario that we can
>>> check.
>>
>> Ah, I see the issue.  I have a sub-doc with !TEX root = <whatever>,
>> and
>> in the main file !TEX program  = pdflatex. However, the default
>> engine
>> is pdfTeX.  So when I Ctrl+T in the sub-doc, TeXworks ignores the
>> engine
>> spec. in the main file and tries to pdfTeX it.  Result: compilation
>> fails.
>>
>> I'd expect the engine spec in the main file to be respected here, I
>> think.
>
> Ah yes... I've realized this could be an issue.
>
> What if you have conflicting "program = ..." specifications in the
> current file (sub-document) and the root document; which should be
> used then?
>
> The way "program = ..." is handled in TeXworks is slightly different
> from TeXShop, if you're familiar with its behavior. In TS, any
> "program = ..." specification *overrides* the engine that's selected
> in the toolbar popup, so Cmd-T always uses what the file specifies.
> In TW, on the other hand, the "program = ..." specification
> initializes the popup to the chosen setting when the file is opened
> (or when the specification is edited), but if the user then changes
> it manually, the new choice will be respected.
>
> This means that when you press Cmd-T (Ctrl-T), TeXworks relies on
> the toolbar popup to tell it what to do; it doesn't inspect the
> "program = ..." line at this time. And so the engine you get is the
> one that's selected in the window where you press Cmd-T.
>
> I'm not sure if there's any approach to this that's clearly "best",
> within the model where you can have a number of files that may have
> differing metadata, and you also have a user interface where you may
> specify something different yet again. A full "TeX Project" model,
> where all the component files "belong" to a project, and metadata
> like this is carried at the project level rather than added to
> individual files, would make things clearer. This may be an option
> in the future, but I don't want to make it a requirement for using
> the program or for being able to include the engine choice in the
> source.
>
> JK

If the user changes the toolbar popup, and if the current active
document, or its root document, has a %!TEX program=... line, then you
should ask the user (at least once) if he wants to update this line to
also reflect the change, and synch the changes if necessary.

If this line does not fulfill the syntax rules, then the user should
be informed that the version of TeXWorks actually running cannot
understand this inline directive (maybe this line was created by a
more advanced version).
This should be a mean to properly setup a custom program for a given
file.
In the log file, you should also display a preliminary line that says
something like "Typesetting root file foo with program blah".
Maybe that is already the case.

Jerome