[texworks] Some remarks

Alain Delmotte esperanto at swing.be
Thu Oct 30 17:03:39 CET 2008

Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>>> Also, it would be good to have all shortcuts duplicated without "\"
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear what others think about this. The current
>> list basically comes from what's distributed with TeXShop. I've
>> noticed that some abbreviations are provided without \, but others
>> aren't; I'm not a heavy user of these so I don't feel qualified to
>> say what's most useful.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> There are two types of completions; one that is based on the command
> itself and a second that is an abbreviation. Also, when the completion
> code tries to find a completion it takes all the characters between
> the point (the cursor) and a terminator character
Yes if  you expand at the end of the input; as I tend to insert the
formatting commands after inputting the text "some tbcharacters" with
the cursor after the b will not expand to \textbf{}. I think it is
normal, that's why I'd like, at least for the most used commands,
shortcuts for formatting on selections.
> (space, tab, linefeed(newline), period, comma, semicolon, colon, {, },
> (, ) or \ (actually the TeX Command Character which can vary in
> different implementations). The { and \ also become part of the
> expansion --- at least that is what it is in TeXShop and I believe
> TeXWorks) as it searches to the left. If the character before the text
> to be completed is NOT one of those you should use a \; e.g., `tt will
> NOT expand to `\texttt{} with the cursor between the braces but `\tt
> will expand correctly.
On my system it does, but I don't know if I didn't change tw-latex.txt yet.

> By the way, the `it' abbreviation doesn't expand to \textit{} at all
> on my system. That is because one should mostly use \emph{} (get that
> with the `em' abbreviation). You can add `it' to the tw-latex.txt file
> if you
But in tw-latex.txt there is:
it:=\item#RET##INS#
ito:=\item[#INS#]#RET#
it:=\textit{#INS#}
itd:=\itshape
so it should, it is doing for the 3 others!!!

> Also, to keep things simple, there are duplicates but, hopefully, they
> are set up so that the most used ones are chosen first. If not, you
> can change the order in the tw-latex.txt file.
Oh! I didn't know that the order was important; it opens possibilities
for me.

Thanks,

Alain