[texworks] Why is $PATH ignored?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Oct 3 09:21:09 CEST 2008

Le 3 oct. 08 à 08:36, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :

> PS: just noticed the following:
> - when using my X login manager, "LC_ALL=C texworks" still gives the
> interface in French, but
> - loging in console and running startx from there, "LC_ALL=C texworks"
> gives the english interface as expected.
> So probably my X login manager is doing nasty things indeed. I'll
> investigate this when I have a bit more time.

This may or may not be related, but on Mac OS X similar problems have
arisen in the past (not specific to XeTeX) and they have been traced
to the fact that:

- The terminal window (I imagine that's what you mean by "logging in
console") is a login shell, ie it inherits the path setting from /etc/
profile, ~/.bashrc and the like.

- The X11 console (I imagine that's what you mean by the "X login
manager") is not a login shell, ie it does not inherits these path
setting.

Hence, on OS X at least, if you want an X11 app to inherit PATH, it's
actually more convenient not to launch it from the X11 console and to
use instead "open" in Terminal ("open-x11" in version 10.4 and below).

Bruno Voisin