[texworks] Why is $PATH ignored?

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Oct 2 20:48:19 CEST 2008

gkv1 at mac.com a écrit :
>> This parent process is not a terminal, so it has no idea of your .init
>> files and its PATH is limited.

I was not precise enough in my message, but it happens the parent
process was indeed a shell with correct PATH.

>> Parsing the terminal config files would be a real pain,
>> because those file differ depending on the system, the version, the
>> shell...

Of course I wouldn't ask anyone do to that, it's impossible *and* it's
non-sense.

> If you open texworks from a terminal, for example using 'open -a
> texworks file.tex', then texworks will inherit the PATH environments
> from the shell. Although this is perhaps a kluge in the Mac environment,
> it is a way that Texworks and other programs (e.g  Texshop) can be aware
> of paths that might be set in your .cshrc file or similar. I always open
> Texworks this way when opening it the first time in a session, for
> exactly that reason.

So I'm very confused: looks like your version texworks inherits the
environment from the shell, while mine doesn't. Weird.

Manuel.