[texworks] Compiling TeXWorks on MacOSX

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 2 09:22:48 CEST 2008

On 2 Oct 2008, at 12:44 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Jonathan Kew
> <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Running qmake (no options needed) in the TeXworks source dir (where
>> the .pro
>> file is) should generate TeXworks.xcodeproj -- at least that's what
>> it does
>> for me. Then open the project with Xcode, and build.
>>
>> (Actually, I'm not even sure how to get qmake to create a Makefile
>> on OS X,
>> though I believe it's an alternative if you want it.)
>

> Arghh! It creates Makefile for me rather than Xcode project. I guess
> it is because I compiled Qt4 with make rather than Xcode

Yes, maybe that's it. I don't compile Qt from source; I install it
directly from the .dmg package that Trolltech provides, and it Just
Works for me. :)

> Victor
>
> So I will abort it until better (or freer) time
>
> Thanks for clarification. Victor
>
> PS I am also looking for the ready build on x86_64-linux (RedHat) (but
> since I am not a root there I need a build not a source.

You don't to be root in order to build TeXworks (and you can run the
resulting binary directly from the build dir, without installing it
under /usr/local or whatever). But I guess you might need to add
development packages (Qt4, poppler, hunspell, etc) that require admin
rights to install, if they're not already present.

JK