[texworks] Contributions

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:35:40 CEST 2008

On 29 Sep 2008, at 9:16 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The current regex and code-completion systems an the planned scripting
> system all have the strong possibility of contributed ideas.  I wonder
> what the plan is regarding making these available.  Is the plan to
> broadly add in most contributions or to have them available as
> separate
> downloads somewhere?

My assumption is "a bit of each". :)

Basically, anything that seems widely useful -- the sort of thing that
most users ought to have on hand in a TeX environment -- should be
bundled with the program if possible. (Who makes that assessment of
"widely useful"? Currently, I do, by listening to the comments people
make. Eventually, I'd be glad for someone else to take over that
aspect of things. I certainly don't have any special qualification to
judge what's most broadly useful.)

But I'd expect some people might create more specialized
configurations for particular purposes, and even though these may be
wonderful and valuable for certain kinds of use, it would be better to
leave them out of the default package in order to avoid overwhelming
people with choices.

Perhaps a noble volunteer will come forward to organize a "TeXworks
configuration exchange" where people can contribute and locate such
things. (But don't rush to get one started just yet, please..... let's
have the basic program a bit more stable and mature first!)

JK