[texworks] A few UI requests

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 04:35:59 CEST 2008

I have a couple of minor UI requests for TeXWorks, which may very soon
replace TeXShop as my daily TeX environment. I should note I'm on Mac
OS X 10.5.5 (MacBook Pro).

First, the preview window doesn't seem to remember my toolbar
visibility setting. I click the chiclet button in the upper right and
the toolbar goes away, but this is not remembered the next time I run
TeXWorks. The same is probably true for the editor window, though I
haven't tried it.

In the same vein, the size of the output panel doesn't seem to be
remembered. It would be nice if I could set it to one height and have
that remembered.

At some point in the past I modified TeXShop so that pressing the
right and left arrow keys in the preview pane paged through the PDF
rather than scrolling the view. It'd be nice to have this as an option
in TeXWorks.

I always leave the preview at a specific zoom which is smaller than
the page size, then center the view on the text block. Hence my desire
for not scrolling left and right with the arrow keys. Another thing
that would be nice is to have the view always horizontally centered
automatically, rather than starting in the upper left of the page.
Perhaps some sort of "remember current preview window settings".

I think generally such window settings are application-wide on the
Mac, not document specific. They are with TeXShop.

In the Not Too Distant Future™, I think it'd be really awesome if the
output pane was clickable, à la the clickable gcc and gdb output in
FSF Emacs/XEmacs. This is obviously low priority, but I'm sure it
would make hunting for errors, overfull hboxes, and the like much less
aggravating.

Thanks a bunch for great software!
James