[texworks] new snapshots

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Wed Sep 24 20:00:37 CEST 2008

Le 24 sept. 08 à 19:10, Jérome Laurens a écrit :

> Le 24 sept. 08 à 18:42, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> See the files in the new "configuration" folder that has appeared
>> in your ~/Library/TeXworks folder (or equivalent on the other
>> platforms).
>
> The standard location on Mac OS X is Library/Application Support/
> TeXWorks
> It would be better to follow the guidelines.

I never quite understood how it should be. Even Apple's take on this
is inconsistent: Apple recommends locations inside ~/Library/
Application Support/ and uses it for iWork

	~/Library/Application Support/iWork

but not for Safari nor Mail

	~/Library/Safari
	~/Library/Mail

Maybe it's a matter that email messages and web bookmarks are
considered so vital and personal that they are more user files than
application ancillary files (after all they are saved when syncing
between devices or saving to iDisk).

In any case, there seems to be no consensus on the matter. Mozilla's
navigators use ~/Library/Application Support/ for the web

	~/Library/Application Support/Camino
	~/Library/Application Support/Firefox

but not for email

	~/Library/Thunderbird

For TeX you have

	~/Library/Application Support/Textures

but

	~/Library/TeXworks
	~/Library/TeXShop

Another illustrious offender

	~/Library/Mathematica
	~/Library/WolframWorkspaces

Not to even mention the infamous

	~/Documents/Données utilisateurs Microsoft

apparently used in parallel with

	~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office

Bruno Voisin