[texworks] Early thoughts

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:52:24 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>    used to set the encoding, typesetting program, etc., without having to
>    "dirty" the file with %! flags.
>
> Personally I think it is better to have fundamental information about
> the file (like the encoding and engine) in the file.  That way when you
> mail it to someone else or distribute it, it is closer to being
> self-contained.

True. (In this case, no reason the %! lines couldn't be present but
hidden in the file itself, but exposed in the UI in this "document
preferences" dialog.)

On a tangential note, I've always wanted to be able to write
  %! execute = latex #1; bibtex #1
or something like that. Another example:
  %! execute = latex #1.ins; latex #1.dtx

Open a little to malicious use, I suppose.