[texworks] Earlier thoughts

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 16:13:17 CEST 2008

On 21/09/2008, at 7:12 PM, Jérome Laurens wrote:

> Jonathan says that TeXWorks is meant for newbies, it is an excellent
> starting point.
> It is not hard to be convinced that no environment exists for newbies,
> even TeXShop.

There are some good points you raise there.

I prefer to think about TeXworks (and TeXShop) not as "the editor for
newbies", but rather, "the *easiest* editor". The development effort
is focussed on removing the friction involved with opening up a
document and working with it.

For large projects, I much prefer a more full-featured editor like
TextMate. But for small documents, even with .dtx files that don't
even have correct syntax colouring in most editors (AucTeX is a
notable exception), I find TeXShop and TeXworks (getting there) the
easiest way to just jump in and start writing/coding.

So while, I think, one half of the "helping newbies" equation is to
provide them with a lot of high-quality help, the other half is just
to not overwhelm them when they first jump in. And the simple design
of these IDEs succeeds very well at that.

I see well-designed features for templates, snippets, command
completions, whatever, as part of this. As long as they help more than
they add complexity.

Will