[texworks] Early thoughts

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Sep 19 21:54:12 CEST 2008

2008/9/19 Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com>:
> Le 18 sept. 08 à 14:26, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 18 Sep 2008, at 1:17 PM, Will Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> (5) As well as command completion, I'd like automatic trigger stuff.
>>> E.g., typing \begin{ on an otherwise empty line would immediately
>>> insert an \end{ on the next line and then fill in both environment
>>> delimiters at the same time as you typed the name of the environment.
>>> Editing one of them would edit the other, simultaneously.
>>
>> Yes, that'd be slick.
>
> Please don't. ... Or at least provide the user with a single
> switch to suppress all these clever additions.
>
> There are users who like such additions. But there are also old-style users
> like me who want an editor to type exactly what they instruct it to type, no
> more no less, to select exactly what they used their mouse to select, no
> more no less.

TeXWorks seems to me to be aimed at the former, and the latter are
also the kind of users who are capable of reading the relevant part of
the documentation and editing a configuration/preferences file where
the auto-instruction behaviour is specified, and commenting out all
the lines they don't want.

> It was always possible to disable these
> Electric Aliases, but that required hunting the app preferences and disable
> them one by one, which was a nuisance.

I agree disabling them via a GUI isn't ideal; but if they can easily
be disabled from the GUI at a stroke, and finer control via access to
the config, seems okay to me.

--
Regards,
Dave