[texworks] Setting search path, using (La)TeX for dvi and synctex

Stephen Moye sgmoye at me.com
Wed Sep 17 16:50:55 CEST 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:11 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> I am, in this instance, using TeXworks on Mac OS X 10.5.5.
>>
>> 1. I'm trying to get TeXworks to look in:
>>
>> 	/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin
>>
>> When I click on the + to add a path ("Paths for TeX and related
>> programs" in TeXworks>Preferences), the resulting dialogue box
>> shows only visible directories. Using terminal, I tried setting the
>> Finder preference to show invisible files, but that had no effect
>> on the dialogue box. I also looked in org.tug.texworks.plist but
>> saw nothing promising there. Can this be done at present?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I believe TEXworks is configured properly out of the box to find /
> usr/texbin (which is a symlink to the proper bin directory). The TeX
> Distribution System Preference Pane will set the proper symlink so
> that you can have multiple TeX distributions; e.g., play with MacTeX
> 2008 while maintaining MacTeX 2007 for ongoing work.
>
>> 2. I can get simpdftex to work, but when I add:
>>
>> 	--extratexopts "synctec=1"
>>
>> I get an error to the effect that --extratexopts is an unknown
>> option. As far as I can tell, TeXworks is finding simpdftex in /usr/
>> texbin. Is this right?
>>
>> I am coming very much to like TeXworks, and look forward to it
>> becoming a very valuable tool in the TeX toolbox.
>>
>> Stephen Moye
>

> You got at least two mistakes: it should be
>
> --extratexopts "--synctex=1"
>
> so there is a missing -- and and x, not a c, in the option name. If
> that doesn't work try placing the --synctex=1, without the quotes,
> as a separate option. What I have is:
>
> <latex settings.pdf>
>

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Thanks -- I was typing the stuff too quickly and relying on my own
fearfully volatile carbon-based RAM.

The fix you gave worked like a charm. Using 'tex' in place of 'latex'
causes the synctex data not to be written -- I recall reading
somewhere that this is because TeX has not been altered to allow for
this sort of thing. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Stephen Moye