[texworks] Ubuntu and synctex

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Wed Sep 17 14:49:22 CEST 2008

On 17 Sep 2008, at 1:04 PM, Martin Sievers wrote:

> Martti Nikunen schrieb:
>> Hello, is there a way to make synctex work with TeXworks in Ubuntu?
>> It does not create any synctex data. This happens with Martin
>> Sievers'
>> package (the latest) and also with self compiled version.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Martti Nikunen
>> University of Helsinki
>>

> Hello Martti,
>
> just hold Ctrl and click on the element you want to sync.
> That works for me.

Hi Martti,

I'm guessing that you have a TeX installation based on TeX Live 2007,
as the Ubuntu packages probably haven't been updated to the 2008
release yet. In that case, the pdftex and xetex engines won't generate
synctex data; this is a new feature of the engines in the TL2008
distribution (or other very up-to-date packages).

What does "pdftex --version" report, and "xetex --version"? For
synctex, you need

	$ pdftex --version
	pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.9-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.7)

	$ xetex --version
	XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)

I don't know the status of TL2008 packaging for Ubuntu; it should be
possible to install it directly from the TUG distribution, though,
separately from the Ubuntu-packaged TeX.

JK