[texworks] Texworks editor

gkv1 at mac.com gkv1 at mac.com
Thu Sep 4 02:13:24 CEST 2008

There have been one or two emails about the TeXworks editor, and I'd
like to make a comment.

The main reason that I do not use TeXshop, in spite of its elegance
and ease of use, is its editor. It is not a powerful text (or tex)
editor, in the sense that emacs, bbedit or textmate are powerful
editors. But I would like to use TeXworks, because it too seems to
have an elegance of design, and the previewer seems to be likely
better suited to TeX than is Skim or Preview or Acrobat. Therefore, my
own preference would be for either:

1. Texworks to have a power editor, as powerful as the three editors
mentioned above. So this means auto-completion, snippets,
customization, auto-indent, etc etc.

*or* (and perhaps better and easier)

2. The ability to use an editor of choice. The main aspect of this
would be in making, or at least allowing, syncing to work between the
external editor and the previewer. (Just allowing an external editor
without syncing wouldn't really help at all.) The implementation on
the editor side would be left to the developers of the editor.

It seems that option 2 could happen without losing any of the
simplicity intended for TeXworks, because the interface would be
unaltered for users who stayed with the original editor.

Regards
Geoff Vallis