[texworks] More ideas: bookmarks

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Sep 3 21:11:41 CEST 2008

2008/9/3 Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk>:
> Dave Crossland wrote:
>> 2008/9/3 Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk>:
>>> I've been keeping an eye on the features of my current editor that I
>>> miss in TeXworks.  I've mentioned a few things, but I notice I missed
>>> out the ability to bookmark lines.  In long files, being able to quickly
>>> flick between different places is very handy.  Would this be useful in
>>> TeXworks?  I find it more useful than any kind of tree view.
>> Perhaps this could be an extension of having 'synctex' style linkage
>> between the PDF bookmarks (often displayed as a tree in a left hand
>> side pane in PDF viewers) and the .ltx source.
> In my usual sources (DTX files) I don't have any PDF bookmarks near
> where I need to be.  Hence I want something marking the source.  Note
> this is dynamic - I'm not bothered about saving the bookmarks between
> sessions.

What I meant is that the PDF window could have a bookmark pane added,
as is seen in most PDF viewers, and then the source window could have
a tree panel mirroring that that jumps around the source. And then
some special comment line like

%%% TWBM bookmark name string

could add extra nodes to the source tree that aren't in the PDF.

"Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers
and deluge the hobby market with good software."
- Bill Gates, 1976, in want of www.gnuherds.org