[texworks] Some (simple) questions

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 22:58:41 CEST 2008

Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> 6) When writing environments, I quite like the idea of being able to
>> generate the "\end {...}" part having typed the "\begin{...}" part.  In
>> my current editor, this occurs by adding a second "}" after typing
>> "\begin{...}".  Is this a good idea for TeXworks?
>
> Howdy,
>
> If you write
>
> benu
>
> at the start of a line and pressing Esc you will get a complete
> enumerated environment;
>
> \begin{enumerate}
> \item
> <cursor here>
> \end{enumerate}•

I found the auto-complete ("ESC" was not my first guess!), but to be
honest I've never got the hang of it: my current editor has a similar
ability, which I never use.  That may of course be me, but being able to
add an \end matching an arbitrary \begin phrase does have its advantages.

> The list of abbreviations is contained in ~/Library/TeXworks/completion/
> on a Mac; don't know where that folder is on other systems. The file is
> UTF-8 and can be edited. Looking at the file will give you some idea of
> what can be done and how to do it.

On Windows, it is inside %USERPROFILE%\TeXworks\completion, it seems.
The format seems okay (watching only for the UNIX line ends, handled
okay in TeXworks, of course!).

> Hope this is useful.

Of course.

Joseph Wright