[texworks] Compile Error on Fedora 9 with hunspell

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Aug 19 20:42:17 CEST 2008

On 19 Aug 2008, at 6:21 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> I wonder, until TeXWorks is packaged for distros, if its worth
> maintaining a wiki page about how to compile it on each majro distro
> would be good IMO.

Seems like a good idea.

> I can't edit the wiki to do this, but if you'd like
> me to, feel free to set permissions for my gaccount
> (d.crossland at gmail.com). What I have in mind is something like:
>
> Fedora:
>
> # yum install poppler-devel qt4-devel hunspell-devel
> $ svn checkout http://texworks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ texworks-
> read-only
> $ cd texworks-read-only
> $ qmake
> $ make
> $ ./texworks

I've put this on a new wiki page, along with notes for Ubuntu as well.
However, if things get busy, I'll hand it all to you to keep
updating! :-)

> Debian:
>
> # aptitude install build-essential qt4-dev-tools qt4-qtconfig
> qt4-designer qt4-doc popplerkit.framework poppler-utils
> libhunspell-dev hunspell hunspell-dictionary-en-gb  freetype
> freetype-tools freetype2-demos freetype1-dev freetype1-tools
> fontconfig fontconfig-config zlib1 zlib1g zlib1-dev zlib1g-dev
> zlib-bin svn

I'm surprised to see freetype1-* there. And various of the -tools,
too: are they actually needed to build TW?

> $ svn checkout http://texworks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ texworks-
> read-only
> $ cd texworks-read-only
> $ qmake
> $ make
> g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT  -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB
> -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I.
> -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore
> -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui
> -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4
> -Isrc -I/usr/include/poppler -I/usr/include/poppler/qt4 -Imoc -Iui -o
> obj/main.o src/main.cpp
> In file included from src/TWApp.h:29,
>                 from src/main.cpp:22:
> src/TWUtils.h:31:31: error: hunspell/hunspell.h: No such file or
> directory
> src/TWUtils.h:60: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'Hunhandle'
> with no typesrc/TWUtils.h:60: error: expected ';' before '*' token
> src/TWUtils.h:90: error: 'Hunhandle' was not declared in this scope
> src/TWUtils.h:90: error: template argument 2 is invalid
> make: *** [obj/main.o] Error 1
> $

Hmmm. I guess that means Debian puts hunspell.h directly into /usr/
include rather than into a /usr/include/hunspell subdir, does it? OK,
I've adjusted the #include paths so I think you have a better chance
(see rev 128).

Once you've confirmed whether it works OK, we can add a Debian entry
to the Building page as well.

BTW, for Ubuntu there may already be a package available; Martin
Sievers created one, as announced on the list recently:

   http://tug.org/pipermail/texworks/2008q3/000002.html

I don't know how easily this work could be recycled for Debian, but
AFAIK many packages are built to work on both.

Thanks,

JK