[texworks] Compile Error on Fedora 9 with hunspell

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Tue Aug 19 13:50:11 CEST 2008

On 19 Aug 2008, at 12:36 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> Hi!
>
> TeXWorks isn't building on my Fedora 9 machine :-( I believe I have
> all the dependencies installed, but the build fails over hunspell...
> Any clues? :-)

Without actually setting up a Fedora 9 system to check how hunspell is
installed, I'm guessing.... could it be that the hunspell library name
is different, perhaps including a version number? If so, you'd need to
change the line

         LIBS += -lhunspell

in TeXworks.pro to something like

         LIBS += -lhunspell-1.1

or whatever. I notice that I have -lhunspell-1.2 on Mac OS X and
Win32, but plain -lhunspell on Linux (works for me on Ubuntu). I guess
this is one of those annoying libraries that gets named slightly
differently on different distros.

Aha -- just looking, I see that Ubuntu has libhunspell-1.1.so, but
also provides a symlink libhunspell.so, so that's why it works for me.

I could change the .pro file to explicitly specify 1.1 on Linux, but
then it'll fail (or at least not get the latest version) when people
start updating to 1.2.... :-(

For now, I suggest you just edit it locally; that should let you go
ahead and build.

HTH,

JK