[texhax] Puzzle: bibtex working when it *shouldn't*!!! ???

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 7 12:42:56 CEST 2018

On 07/05/18 21:00, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Am Mon, 7 May 2018 10:37:06 +1200 schrieb Rolf Turner:
>
>> So has anyone any explanation as to why one can get away with the
>> spurious/redundant ".bib" when running bibtex from the command line,
>> but not when running it under MiKTeX?
>
> miktex is simply different. bibtex there always add the extension.
> So while in texlive you can use the (wrong) syntax
> \bibliography{references.bib} it won't work with miktex.

OK.  Thanks. I might have known that a Micro$oft oriented piece of
software would cause problems.

At least I'll know in future to watch out for this.

I remain a bit puzzled as to why the TeXLive bibtex *said* it was using
"Database file #1: references.bib.bib", but didn't mind not finding that
file.

I guess I'll just have to write this off as one more of the many things
I don't understand about Life, the Universe, and Everything. :-)

Thanks again.

cheers,

Rolf

--