[texhax] Centring \ddot above \widehat --- SOLVED

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Mar 10 22:40:16 CET 2018

On 11/03/18 02:59, Enrico Schumann wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2018, Rolf Turner writes:
>
>> Putting a "double dot" above a wide hat seems to centre the dots over
>> the underlying symbol, and thus puts them somewhat to the left of the
>> peak of the wide hat --- which looks wrong to me.
>>
>> A Google search turned up only information about a single dot and hat;
>> the posting
>>
>>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/317603/how-to-put-a-dot-accent-above-a-hat-accent-in-math-mode
>>
>> indicated that using amsmath would get things right --- and indeed it
>> does in this instance.  However using amsmath seems to have no impact
>> upon the "double wide" case.  Is there any remedy?
>>
>> I have attached the LaTeX source and the pdf output of a minimal
>> reproducible example.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rolf Turner
>
> In Plain TeX, there is a command \skew. You could try
>
>    \[
>    \textrm{whatever} = \skew3\ddot{\widehat{Q}}
>    \]
>
> Instead of skew3, you may use skew1, skew2,...
> It's described in the TeXBook, Chapter 16. Quote:
> "The idea is to fiddle with the amount of skew
>   until you find what pleases you best."

Thanks.  Another person suggest the use of \skew to me, off-list for
some reason.  I did indeed fiddle, and found that

     \skew{3.2}\ddot{\widehat{Q}}

gave me results that "pleased" me. It was not clear to me initially that
one could give \skew fractional arguments, like 3.2, but it seems that
one can if one wraps the argument in braces {...}.

Thanks again.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--