[texhax] Set depth to zero

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jul 12 11:40:00 CEST 2018

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> It seems to me that it's not possible to achieve what I was asking (well, just
> an experiment...), i.e. nullify the depth of text lines; or, in other words,
> set \baselineskip to the mere `height' of lines: height, without their depth,
> that's zero for `a', `m', and not zero for `g', `p', etc...  In that case, the
> valour of \baselineskip should be different for different lines, with or
> without capital letters in them...  and equal to the line height that's
> variable.  It doesn't seem that TeX has a way to do that...

Would you not accept equi-spaced lines which are both ascender and
descender presence/height/depth independent ?  That effect is easy to
accomplish :

% !TeX Program=XeTeX

\hsize = 10 pc

\parindent = 0 pt

\parskip = 1\normalbaselineskip

\baselineskip = 1,2 \normalbaselineskip

\toks 0 = {Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the
party. The quick brown fox jump right over the lazy dog's back. Of all
the fish within the sea, the mermaid is the one for me. The Leith police
dismisseth us, for we sufficeth them.}

\lineskip = 0 pt

\lineskiplimit = -\maxdimen

\loop