[texhax] MacTeX Extras

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jul 5 08:28:58 CEST 2018

Herbert Voss wrote:

> See
> http://tug.org/mactex/mactextras.html
>
> Herbert

Well, I for one find it hard to understand what that page is intended to communicate.  It states :

> The complete *MacTeX Distribution* <http://tug.org/mactex/mactextras/GettingMacTeX2017Information.rtf> is part of the *TeX Collection* <http://www.tug.org/texcollection/> produced by the TeX User Groups, also contains additional /Front Ends/, /Spell Checkers/, /Documentation/, and /Showcase/ items. This extra material can be obtained by downloading *MacTextras.zip* from the following multiplexer site:
>
>     */MacTeXtras.zip/* <http://tug.org/cgi-bin/mactex-download/MacTeXtras.zip>   [ 439M - 13 May 2018 ]

If "The complete *MacTeX Distribution* <http://tug.org/mactex/mactextras/GettingMacTeX2017Information.rtf>" [...] "also contains additional /Front Ends/, /Spell Checkers/, /Documentation/, and /Showcase/ items", why would one need to download "[t]his extra material" if one already has  "The complete *MacTeX Distribution* <http://tug.org/mactex/mactextras/GettingMacTeX2017Information.rtf>" ?

Philip Taylor