[texhax] Latex on command line

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 23:27:21 CEST 2017

I don't have access to a PC running Windows XP.  As far as I know TeXLive
installation makes the necessary changes to your environmental variables.
If you open a command window and enter

latex --version

and get something similar to what I have set out earlier Latex will work
from the command line.

If you get something like "latex is not an executable program or ..." your
environmental variables have not been set.  You can reinstall TeXLive and
see if that sets them.

If they are set you should have no problem running the various commands
from the command line.

There is a specific version of TeXstudio for Windows XP available at
http://texstudio.org/. Give it a try. It does make Latex much easier to
use. If the command line works then it is likely that this version of
TeXStudio will work.  As an experiment I have installed full Texlive and
 TEXstudio on a HP stream 7 tablet with 1 GB RAM, and atom cpu and  running
Windows 10.  With these small resources it compiled (pdflatex) a 200 + page
 document with lots of math and graphs in a few seconds. So Texstudio does
not require very much resources.  (I would not recommend using this tablet
for Texstudio as the 7 inch screen is to small)

If the problem is a corrupt windows setup you may need to reinstall windows
or seek professional help. Alternatively you might consider installing a
linux distribution (e,g, Ubuntu) to replace your windows distribution if
windows is corrupt and you can not install

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14