[texhax] Where to get xzdec

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Nov 10 01:56:14 CET 2017

Hi Alan,

    > /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-darwin/tlmgr: could not find a usable xzdec.
    > /usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-darwin/tlmgr: Please install xzdec and try again.
    >
    > I also got a message to say wget was missing but I installed that and have it running now. But where do I get xzdec from?

For what it's worth, the native TL installer does include x86_64-darwin
binaries for xz, xzdec, and wget.  (TL provides xz[dec] on all supported
platforms, in fact.)  The files are in tlpkg/installer/xz and .../wget,
aka
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/xz/

These binaries are only installed at install time, though, not on-demand
by tlmgr (that would not be practical). E.g., if you installed on a
different platform and then copied the tree over or something, they
wouldn't be around.

Other than that, I'm not sure why they'd be missing. Glad you got things
going, in any case. --thanks, karl.