[texhax] Jan17 TUG news: election, conferences, membership, calendar, review

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Thu Jan 12 01:18:15 CET 2017

Fellow TeX-ers,

It is dark here in the US.  Fortunately, there are lots of good things
in the TeX world, including a calendar on which to mark the days until
the thaw; see item 7.

0) But first, allow us to mention TUG memberships for the new year.  If
you've already renewed, or automatically renew your membership, thanks!
Otherwise, you can find the membership form and information at
http://tug.org/join.html, and would greatly appreciate your
consideration and support. This year we have doubled the discount for
electronic memberships to try to help where finances are a concern.

1) Also on the organizational front, this is an election year for TUG.
A number of seats on the Board expire in 2017, including that of
President; see http://tug.org/election/.
The deadline for submissions is Feb 1, 2017, 5pm PST.

Note that this deadline is firm.  Direct inquiries to the election
committee, whose address is on that page.

Please consider running.  TUG depends on all of us to continue the
good work, and being on the Board is a great way to make a
contribution.

2) Next year's TUG conference will be at the annual BachoTeX
conference April 29-May 3, 2017.  We will be joining the Polish TeX
group GUST for their 25th birthday. More information will be appearing
in this newsletter and at http://tug.org/tug2017/.

If you are thinking about your trip I urge you to read the page,
"Things you always wanted to know about Bachotek" at
http://tug.org/tug2017/bachotex.html.

3) Very important: the deadline for Bursary Fund applications for the
TUG conference is January 15, 2017.  This fund helps members of the
TeX community who would, for financial reasons, otherwise be unable to
attend a TUG conference.  Full information is on
http://tug.org/bursary/.

(Please consider making a donation to the TUG Bursary Fund. One
hundred percent of the money donated is used to help people attend the
conference.  Thanks for your consideration.)

4) With the end of the year, we have ended the year's membership
campaign (http://tug.org/membership/).  Thanks to all TUG members who
invited others to join and to our new members.  And congratulations to
the winner of the drawing, Doug Marmion, who will receive a limited
edition of *Manuale Zapficum, 2009: Typographic arrangements of the
words by and about the work of Hermann Zapf & Gudrun Zapf von Hesse*
from RIT Press.

5) The next TUGboat is a regular issue, 38:1; the submission deadline is
February 24, 2017.  Submissions are most welcome, particularly of
introductory and survey articles.

6) Looking forward, the 11th ConTeXt meeting will take place at
Butzbach-Maibach, Germany, on September 11-17, 2017.  The theme will
be ConTeXt Gardening. See http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2017/.

This meeting will host ConTeXt and LuaTeX developers as well as users.
It gives you the chance to present your results, experiences, and
ideas on future development. The talks will be followed by tutorials
on ConTeXt and LuaTeX techniques.

7) Peter Wilson of Herries Press has prepared a 2017 calendar of
historical Japanese woodblocks.  The a4 version is at
http://tug.org/calendar/17/tug-cal17-a4.pdf, and the US letter version
is at http://tug.org/calendar/17/tug-cal17-letter.pdf.

8) Boris Veytsman has done another review, this time of the seminar
*Presenting data and information* by Edward Tufte.  Many TeX-ers will
know Tufte's work, and the review is fascinating. See
http://tug.org/books/reviews/tb118reviews-tufte.html.

Happy TeXing,
Jim Hefferon, for the TUG Board