[texhax] The "Fontspec" package : load font at specific size with dimension

Bruce R Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Tue Feb 28 21:38:23 CET 2017

On 02/28/2017 03:08 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:
> Thank you for your help and suggestions, Ulrike -- you are, of course, quite correct in your observation that I am thinking of the problem in terms of plain TeX, but for better or worse, that is the only dialect of TeX with which I am familiar, and it is therefore understandable, I think, that I adopt it as my mental model.  But to return to my real-life problem :
>
> In order to get a good visual balance between Latin text and text in {Arabic/Hebrew/Hindi/Nepali/Bengali/Tibetan/...}, I need to load the Latin font at its default size but the Arabic (etc) fonts at different sizes.  Is there really no way in which I can say (without needing to use any additional commands in my document) something analogous to :
>>
>>  1. \setmainfont [Color=text-colour] {Noto Serif Bold Italic}
>>  2. \newfontface \thai [Color=text-colour, Language=Thai, Script=Thai] {Noto Serif Thai Bold}
>>  3. *\newfontface \bengali [Color=text-colour, Language=Bengali, Script=Bengali, Scale=1.2] {Noto Serif Bengali Bold}*
>>  4. *\newfontface \hindi [Color=text-colour, Language=Hindi, Script=Devanagari, Scale=1.2] {Noto Serif Devanagari Bold}*
>>  5. *\newfontface \nepali [Color=text-colour, Language=Nepali, Script=Devanagari, Scale=1.2] {Noto Serif Devanagari Bold}*
>>  6. \newfontface \japanese [Color=text-colour, Language=Japanese, Script=CJK] {Noto Sans CJK JP Bold}
>>  7. \newfontface \korean [Color=text-colour, Language=Korean, Script=CJK] {Noto Sans CJK KR Bold}
>>  8. \newfontface \mandarin [Color=text-colour, Language=Chinese Traditional, Script=CJK] {Noto Sans CJK TC Bold}
>>  9. \newfontface \tibetan [Color=text-colour, Language=Tibetan, Script=Tibetan] {Noto Sans Tibetan Bold}
>> 10. *\newfontface \arabic [Color=text-colour, Language=Arabic, Script=Arabic, Scale=1.414] {Noto Naskh Arabic Bold}*
>> 11. \newfontface \hebrew [Color=text-colour, Language=Hebrew, Script=Hebrew] {Noto Sans Hebrew Bold}
>>
> but expressing the size of the fonts in TeX dimensions rather than as relative "Scale" values ?

Naive eavesdropping here, but...
I would think that the Scale is exactly what you *do* want to do,
rather than set a specific fixed size.  Then the various size commands
on the different fonts/languages would work as you would expect....
at least, assuming they still would work that way after scaling.

bruce

bruce.miller at nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/