[texhax] LaTeX for molecular biology (was Re: MiKTeX)

Schneider, Thomas (NIH/NCI) [E] schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Tue Aug 29 22:36:50 CEST 2017

Mike:

> Do you have any scripts for generating latex to visualize
> riboswitches from a base sequence lol?

I know what a riboswitch is but I don't know how you mean you want to
visualize them.  There are programs for drawing RNA structures out
there ...  Bruce Shapiro could help you with that:
https://ccr.cancer.gov/RNA-Biology-Laboratory/bruce-a-shapiro
https://binkley2.ncifcrf.gov/users/bshapiro//index.html

> Obviously that may be a bit much but I was curious if there are
> decent script libraries for making chem and bioinformatics things in
> latex that may not be well known. Even clever things with clustalw
> output or alignment results.

There is a LaTeX chemistry package available though some time ago I
found it awkward and limited.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=latex+chemistry+package

Generally I write programs that generate PostScript and use that
output in figures.

> Personally I have found that those simple scripts or vim macros can
> be a big help for even many  things.

Yes, but generally I write them myself.  You might like to look at my
toolkit:

https://alum.mit.edu/www/toms/toolkit.html

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.